The North Texas Home-school Marching Band – Band Camp 2017
Monday, July 24th through Friday, July 28th
8am to 12 pm
Hello, all band students and parents!! I am super excited for next week and our first ever home-school marching band camp! This letter will briefly cover what to expect, a tentative schedule, and some tips on how to make getting through this rigorous week of marching a little easier on yourself. We have an amazing group of kids! I am so proud of how far they have come and how hard they have worked so far. I have no doubts that next week is going to be a fun and successful week!
Tentative Daily Camp Schedule
(May be tweaked due to hot weather. Will break as needed.)
8:00 – 9:00 Marching Fundamentals (without instruments)
9:00 – 9:45 Parade Marching (with instruments)
9:45 – 10:00 Break, snack, hydrate, and transition inside for rehearsal
10:00 – 11:40ish Inside rehearsal of music
11:40ish – 12:00 Announcements and review of day
What to bring to band camp
- Instrument and all necessary accessories (neck straps, reeds, drum sticks, etc.)
- Everyone will need to have a flip folder and a lyre for their instrument. These can be purchased at any music store or may be easily ordered online. Please, make sure you purchase the correct lyre for your instrument as they are all a little different. Flip folders ,for the most part, are all the same with the exception of flutes and percussion. If anyone has any questions about this, please let me know, and I’ll guide you in the right direction.
- We will have drinks and snacks to provide for the students, but it doesn’t hurt to bring a water bottle if you have one. It is going to be hot (yay triple digits) hydration is very important! Hopefully we can be outside the first portion of the morning, and drinking water is very important. Start drinking a good amount of water this weekend to prepare your bodies for the heat. Also, breakfast is certainly important before band camp, but be wary of eating anything too heavy, salty, or sugary before going outside in the sun. These foods can make you feel dehydrated and/or lethargic.
- Sunscreen!! I will have some to share just in case anyone forgets theirs. I don’t want anyone getting sunburned. A sunburn can make for a very long uncomfortable week.
- Bug Spray. We will be spending a good portion of our time marching outside in the grassy area, and if anyone else is like me, if there is a bug then I will get bitten.
- Try to wear light colored, cotton-type, summer clothing. All clothing needs to be “school appropriate.” Try to wear something that you will be comfortable in and that will keep you as cool as possible.
- Sneakers/tennis shoes! Please, no flip-flops or sandals. In order to march correctly, we all need to wear comfortable sneakers. Prepare yourselves for that stylish post-band camp sock tan…I know you’re excited!
- Hat and/or sunglasses. Not everyone is a hat person, but if you have one, you may want to wear it to shield your face from the sun.
I hope this letter has been helpful to prepare everyone for next week. If anyone has any other questions, please let me know! I am very excited about next week and cannot wait to teach these kids to march! This is going to be a great marching season! I want to thank the parents for all that they do to help make this marching band possible. This is a wonderful, musical opportunity for these kids, and I am very happy that I get to be a part of it! Have a great weekend, and I’ll see everyone on Monday morning!!
Mrs. Jill Schatz